Wednesday, July 17, 2013

I May Just Have To Eat My Words!

So, here's the scoop!  I have been a HUGE proponent of drinking smoothies over juices for the fiber and nutritional content for many years!  I even jumped up to a commercial blender about 4 years ago to get a better, more complete mix of my fruits and veges.  

At this point I honestly have to admit my perception may have been skewed.

You see, I have had a couple of different juicers in the past.  Mind you these juicers are ones that were given to me for Christmas, birthdays, etc because my family knows my need, want, desire to be as healthy as I can be.  Well, those juicers were absolute junk.  Sorry folks, I don't intend to hurt any ones feelers!  The sad truth has to come out.  If you are in the market for a juicer thinking you would like to be more healthy too, read to the end of this article before you jump on e-bay or run to the department store!  Traditional home models of juicers create a LOT of waste in the dispersion of the pulp.  I have an issue with waste of anything that might be usable.

I have connected with Drew Canole of Fit Life Tv. and Juice Up Your Life and the information, motivational promotions and encouragement that he provides has been absolutely outstanding.  I also have to mention here, he's gorgeous.  The guys might not appreciate this much but it would be the same for them if a super model like Cindy Crawford walked into the room.  Drew has beautiful blue eyes that seem to light up on camera, that scruffy unshaven look is ok but he pulls it off very well and he's fit.  He has the whole ripped abs thing going on and very nice bi-ceps. Enough of that, you get my point. 

Eye candy is one thing but this man is promoting natural simplicity.  I bought into it.  I signed up for his alpha cleanse to see what it was all about.  I paid less than $50 and really didn't get whatever miraclulous thing I was looking for.  Therefore, I didn't do much with it.  I began using more cucumber in my smoothies and more water to thin them down but overall nothing changed. 

My husband (Dave) has had some health concerns over the years but he has hated, detested even abhored the look of my smoothies for as long as I have been making them.  A few weeks ago, Dave had a night where his legs and joints were hurting him terribly.  The only thing I could think to do for him was get some greens into him to help balance the ph of his body.  He forced down a watered down smoothie of mixed greens (no fruit) and he made it through the night much more comfortably.  I drank the juice that was left over and it wired me!  I was up for the rest of the night.  This got me thinking more about juicing and how it goes straight to your blood stream basically bypassing the digestive process where even the little amount of fiber in smoothies has to be broke down before our bodies can use it. 

Needless to say, since it seemed to help Dave.  He got another one the next morning and every morning since!  He has complained like you would never believe but I hand it to him, he drinks it, I am happy!  He also hasn't been up complaining about hurting in the night!

Here we go.....I decide I have to buy a juicer and give this a try.  I'm a conventional girl and I am NOT going to settle for another department store juicing machine so I start comparing commercial grade masticating (the process by which food is crushed and ground by teeth) juicers.  I settle on a Champion brand juicer and order a used one on e-bay for $140.  Regular price is right at $250ish.

It came in the mail yesterday, in excellent condition just like the ad stated.  I washed it up and got it ready to go and this morning, I made my first juice (for Dave of course), he gets to try it first!  I'm not stupid!

I cut up half a cucumber, 1/2 inch onion wedge, 1 medium tomato, 7 or 9 baby carrots and 2 stalks of celery.  The juicer worked better than I had imagined!  There was very little pulp that came out and doing that kind of thing is always fun!  I handed the 16 oz glass of juice to Dave and he drank it down without adding salt and said, "That's good!"  Just a couple of tablespoons left in the bowl that I drank and I had to agree, it was not only good, it was very good!

Moving on, I made me one but the carrots were gone so I used the other half of the cucumber, 1/2 wedge of onion, 1 medium tomato, 1 radish, 1/2 inch wedge of beet and 2 stalks of celery.  Dave actually asked if he could have some!  (YAY, I am winning!)  Here you have to take into consideration, Dave is a meat eater.  Occasionally he will eat potatoes but his primary diet is meat, meat and more meat (iiCK!!)

This glass of juice was just as good but different.  I am pretty sure it was the beet that added just a hint of sweetness that was ok but I liked the first one better.  All in all this was a huge success!  32 ounces of juice with less than 1/2 cup of waste in the pulp which could be used to make crackers or feed chickens if you have them or it could be added to the compost pile.  The best part, Dave is getting in his veges and this just tickles me as red as a beet!  What a great start to the day!  I even told him that I would make him some fresh apple juice tonight!  I think he's as excited as I am! 

Veronica
KISSTOrganics




No comments:

Post a Comment